Location: Black Creek Park, Union
Directions: Take the Union Street exit off Interstate 490
and head south on Union Street. Turn right to enter Black Creek Park and follow the park
road left to the parking area near Woodside Lodge.
Alternative Parking: At the north end of the park road
Hiking Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes
Length: 4.2 mile
Difficulty: two boots
Surface: Mowed-grass and
Trail Markings: Some junctions are marked with
blue-and-white numbered signs on wooden posts
Hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, horseback riding
Dogs: OK on
Contact: Monroe County Parks
171 Reservoir Avenue, Rochester, NY 14620 (585) 256-4950
Black Creek is the centerpiece of this park in southwestern Monroe County. Purchased in
1963, the park has large tracts of undeveloped, rolling hills with two small ponds. Its
trails wind through tall brush and young forest areas which attract many kinds of birds.
Six-foot wide paths are mowed throughout the park creating many possible hiking or cross-
country skiing loops. Deer are plentiful in the park.
• From the southeast corner of the parking area, walk east along the mulched
• Turn right (S) and pass a gate.
• Turn right at the “T.”
• At 0.2 mile, pass benches on the right overlooking a depression area.
• Pass junction marker #11 and a small trail into the woods on the
right. Continue straight (SW).
• At 1.0 mile, enter the woods. Bear left
to stay on the main trail.
• Stay on the main trail, passing a small
trail to the right.
• Reach junction marker #12 at 1.2 miles. Continue
• Cross a wooden bridge.
• Bear right toward the red
• At 1.5 miles cross the parking area.
• Bear left around the
far side of the pond.
• Half way down the pond, turn left (W) and head
uphill into the woods.
• Follow the top of an open ridge then descend
• At 2.1 miles, cross a small boardwalk then proceed through
a wet area.
• Cross a makeshift bridge then a small boardwalk over a
• Reach a mowed area.
• Reach a “T” at 2.3 miles. Turn right
(NE). (Left leads to a road.)
• Bear right staying on the wide path when
a small trail heads left.
• At 3.1 miles, reach a “T.” Turn right (S).
(Left leads to Chili Riga Center Road.)
• Continue straight past a trail
to the left.
• Turn right to cross a small wooden bridge to junction
• At junction marker #18 turn left (NE).
• The trail
bends right and Black Creek gully comes into view on the left.
• Pass a
trail to the right.
• Reach junction marker #17 with another trail to
the right at 3.5 miles.
• Walk through a grassy picnic area.
the end of the mowed area, follow the gravel trail uphill.
• At 3.7 miles, just before the park road, turn left (SE) on a
• At 3.9 miles reach a park road. Turn left along the road,
then bear left (SE) onto the grass path.
• Continue straight across a
• Follow the grass path back to the parking area.
Date Hiked: ___________